How We Make It Work
We believe teachers teach students to read, write and spell,
not programs or products.
So Literacy How empowers teachers to know the best way to teach.
Since 2000, our team has advanced teaching and learning by helping hundreds of
educators use research-based knowledge and best practices to succeed.
- Translates quality reading research findings into the most
effective teaching for educators at all levels.
- Realizes that many teachers are unaware of these
research-based best practices.
- Recognizes that teachers want all students to achieve, so
we begin by building on what teachers already know and
- Understands that change is hard and respects teachers’
attitudes, which range from enthusiastic to skeptical, as we
support them in strengthening their approach.
- Customizes services, whether conducting a one-day
professional development workshop or building a
long-term mentoring affiliation.
- Works with schools to review and, if necessary, modify
their existing literacy curriculum and reading program.
- Monitors teacher knowledge and student progress to insure success.
- Explains how to monitor student growth using formal
and informal assessments, especially as a means to
guide instruction. This includes knowing how to interpret
student errors and give positive corrective feedback, so
teaching becomes both diagnostic and prescriptive.